007: Licence to sleep - Bond Inspiration’s bed to go on sale at Bonhams, EdinburghWed 08 Feb, 2012 // Ismay Currie
A beautiful Edwardian mahogany four poster bed will go on sale at Bonhams, Edinburgh on February 16th. Not just any bed however, a much loved bed that once belonged to Sir Fitzroy Maclean – or his full title - Sir Fitzroy Hew Royle Maclean of Dunconnel Bt, 1st Baronet of Strachur and Glensluain, Baron Strachur, and 16th Hereditary Keeper and Captainof Dunconnel in the Isles of The Sea.
It has been speculated that he was one of the inspirations for Ian Fleming’s famous character, James Bond. Maclean was a friend of Ian Fleming’s and he apparently used many aspects of Maclean’s personality to form Agent Bond.
It seems Sir Fitzroy Maclean was a man of many sides – diplomat, soldier, politician and author. He was educated at Eton and Oxford and he joined the military in the 1930s. He was later invited to join the Special Air Service as one of its founder recruits by David Stirling.
Notable diplomatic successes included acting as envoy to Winston Churchill having parachuted into German occupied Yugoslavia, where his close relations with Yosip Tito proved significant. After the war Sir Fitzroy spent time as a diplomat in the Soviet Union and in 1950 wrote his first book.
As a result of his parachuting and military endeavours Maclean suffered from a bad back. He favoured this bed, for over 40 years, as it helped alleviate this condition.
Notes to Editors
• The bed is estimated at £1,000 - £1,500 at will be sold at Bonhams, Edinburgh on 16th February.
• The projecting cornice and beaded frieze enclosing a pleated white canopy, raised on reeded and spiral reeded supports with lotus capitals, square tapering legs with spade feet and counter-sunk castors. 166.5cm wide x 210cm deep x 213cm high, (65.5" wide x 82.5" deep x 83.5" high).
• Photo opportunities can be arranged.
Comments : Comments are closed.
- An Introduction to Chinese Teas at PekoeTea of Edinburgh
- PHOTO CALL: SCOTTISH ART SALE BONHAMS EDINBURGH MONDAY 15 APRIL 11.00 A.M. Private collection of Scottish Colourist paintings expected to exceed £1m
- Amy Schellenberg of Anonymous Art on the Culture Show.
- Valuation Day at the Castle of Mey
- Tartan Silk Honoured to Announce New Appointments