Luke Hughes and Company "Designing with hardwoods - lecturing in Rotterdam"Fri 27 Jan, 2012 // Ismay Currie
Luke Hughes was invited to Rotterdam as a principal guest speaker at the Houtag Conference 2011. Luke was speaking on ‘Where the tactile meets the technical’, a look at how key design factors can help extract the best value (and a 100-year life expectancy) from hardwoods. The lecture continues the series given in by Luke Hughes over the last few years in India, the Middle and Far East, as well as Australasia. Having designed furniture for over 30 years, Luke is uniquely placed to share his expertise with architects and designers and to analyse the trends, characteristics and species available.
Other speakers included Andrew Lawrence, Associate Director of Arup, who spoke about the structural considerations behind the Timber Wave, a sensational three-dimensional latticework timber spiral, designed by Amanda Levete. The Wave is 12 metres in diameter, made in American Red oak, and employs construction techniques and materials normally used in furniture making. The project was sponsored by the American Hardwood Export Council.
Comments : Comments are closed.
- Did Auntie send you the worst Christmas present? This is your chance to share an image and let the world decide.
- Clans Challenged to reveal their traditional marmalade recipes.
- PHOTO CALL: BONHAMS JEWELLERY: 1ST DECEMBER THE DOME EDINBURGH
- St Kentergen’s Academy looks forward to Seafood in Schools visit
- Monifieth High School looks forward to Seafood in Schools visit