Luke Hughes and Company "Designing with hardwoods - lecturing in Rotterdam"Fri 27 Jan, 2012 // Ismay Currie
Luke Hughes was invited to Rotterdam as a principal guest speaker at the Houtag Conference 2011. Luke was speaking on ‘Where the tactile meets the technical’, a look at how key design factors can help extract the best value (and a 100-year life expectancy) from hardwoods. The lecture continues the series given in by Luke Hughes over the last few years in India, the Middle and Far East, as well as Australasia. Having designed furniture for over 30 years, Luke is uniquely placed to share his expertise with architects and designers and to analyse the trends, characteristics and species available.
Other speakers included Andrew Lawrence, Associate Director of Arup, who spoke about the structural considerations behind the Timber Wave, a sensational three-dimensional latticework timber spiral, designed by Amanda Levete. The Wave is 12 metres in diameter, made in American Red oak, and employs construction techniques and materials normally used in furniture making. The project was sponsored by the American Hardwood Export Council.
Comments : Comments are closed.
- Photocall 11:00am, Monday, 10th November 2014, Blythswood Square Hotel- Screening Room: Glasgow Philharmonia Orchestra launch February “Movies to Musicals” Concert with Jai McDowall.
- Border Life Ep31
- Fun and Games at The Big Curry Lunch!
- For a healthier stocking this Christmas, fill it with delicious Nutrifiz Wheatgrass superpower.
- Seafood in Schools at Fortrose Academy
- Church Times highlight the versatility of Luke Hughes and Company's Stacking Pews...
- Underwater Centre Welcomes Consul General of India
- Health Minister Visits Telehealth Solutions Project on Bute
- Charlotte's campaign to end the organ donation lottery appears in the Press & Journal
- Harris Tweed Orb 100th Anniversary commemorated with Model T Ford, ascent of Ben Nevis