Sale of iconic whisky at Bonhams to aid Japanese victimsFri 25 Mar, 2011 // Jeremy Bone
The sale of a £13,000 bottle of Gordon & MacPhail Generations Glenlivet 70 Years Old, launched earlier this month, is to be auctioned at a special evening at Bonhams, Edinburgh on 29 March in aid of the victims of the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
Family owned whisky specialists Gordon & MacPhail unveiled the iconic Single Malt Whisky at Edinburgh Castle on 8 March. Distilled in 1940, only 100 full sized decanters have been released for sale in 2011. Decanter number 1 of 100 has been presented for this special event.
Michael Urquhart, Joint Managing Director of Gordon & MacPhail, had been due to fly to Japan to launch the whisky when the tragedy struck. He had the idea of auctioning the bottle in Scotland to raise much needed money for the relief effort. The proceeds will be donated to the British Red Cross Japan Appeal. The special, single item, charity auction will be held at Bonhams, 22 Queen Street, Edinburgh on Tuesday evening 29 March at 7.00pm GMT to allow buyers in the USA and the Far East to take part. Bonhams are giving their services for free.
Michael Urquhart said, “Gordon & MacPhail has had trading relationships with Japan for over thirty years and members of our family-owned business felt it was important to show our support and raise funds to aid the relief. I think we all feel helpless in the face of a tragedy like this so it is good to be able to do something practical. I hope people will respond generously.”
Bonhams Managing Director in Scotland, Miranda Grant, who lived in Japan as a child, said, “We’re just pleased to be able to help Everyone has been shocked by the scenes of devastation and the loss of life and we’re all hoping to raise a good sum.”
Norman McKinley, director of the Red Cross in Scotland, said, “This is an extremely generous gesture by Gordon & MacPhail and Bonhams. The massive earthquake and resulting tsunami that struck Japan have caused widespread destitution and suffering.
“The costs of the relief effort and of rebuilding the homes and lives of those affected will be immense. Donations to the British Red Cross will be used towards helping the Japanese people recover from this devastating natural disaster over the coming months and years.”
The charity auction itself will be preceded by a reception at 6.00 and a talk at 6.40 by the renowned whisky connoisseur Charles Maclean.
Comments : Comments are closed.
- Photocall 11:00am, Monday, 10th November 2014, Blythswood Square Hotel- Screening Room: Glasgow Philharmonia Orchestra launch February “Movies to Musicals” Concert with Jai McDowall.
- Border Life Ep31
- Fun and Games at The Big Curry Lunch!
- For a healthier stocking this Christmas, fill it with delicious Nutrifiz Wheatgrass superpower.
- Seafood in Schools at Fortrose Academy
- Castle of Mey opens its Doors for a Bonhams Valuation Day
- PHOTOCALL - EXTRAORDINARY BOTTLE OF BOWMORE LEADS WHISKY SALE AT BONHAMS EDINBURGH - 11am MONDAY 8TH OCTOBER
- Seafood in Schools at Milne High, Fochabers
- Health Minister Visits Telehealth Solutions Project on Bute
- The Kist's brilliant new website - thekist.co.uk