Stacking Pews to the Heavens - Luke Hughes and Company leads the way in ecclesiastical versatilityWed 29 Feb, 2012 // Ismay Currie
Luke Hughes and Company has an esteemed reputation for the design of custom-built furniture and in more recent years for their ecclesiastical furniture. Stacking church pews are the company’s latest design innovation. The stacking pews’ popularity stems from their versatility and bespoke traditional design.
The classic architecture and contemplative environment of many churches is enhanced by the furniture within. The craftsmanship of the finished article means that the pews harmonise flawlessly with the surrounding interior.
Primarily made from European oak, the pews are beautifully created pieces of art which sit well in a traditional setting without removing any natural beauty or liturgical importance of the building. The addition of stacking pews is an ideal way to complement the architectural merit of these historical buildings.
As well as being easily manoeuvrable by two people, the pews are incredibly practical. Quicker to move than chairs, their ‘stackability’ means that the pews can be efficiently stored allowing flexibility and diversity.
In these times of austerity, churches are returning to one of their original purposes, that of being a place for the community as a whole rather than just for worshippers. Once fixed pews are removed stackable pews allow you to change a place of worship into a theatre for productions or a space for events, meetings and groups in minutes – a real community space.
Since Luke Hughes and Company first designed their stacking pews, the company has worked with numerous institutions throughout the country from small village churches to cathedrals and universities.
'It's been some time now since we had our new pews, and I would like to let you know how delighted we are with them, they have made such a difference to our services... when we have the colour party for the children they really come into their own as the pews are stackable and easy to carry. We gain so much more room, even the choir can change their seating arrangements.'
St Michael and All Angels, Kingsnorth
For further media enquiries, please contact Martin Hunt on 0131 557 8885 / email@example.com, or Ismay Currie: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
• Luke Hughes and Co has been based in Covent Garden, London since 1981.
• Luke Hughes and Co also designs bespoke spa, corporate and institutional furniture for clients across the world including the Mandarin Oriental hotel and The Royal Bank of Scotland.
• Luke Hughes was one of the first furniture design consultants and makers to embrace sustainable values and practices, with core values of understanding space, reflecting the building’s architecture and creating furniture that lasts.
• Over the last 25 years Luke Hughes and Co has designed furniture for more than 50 Oxbridge colleges, 20 institutional libraries, 20 major public schools, 17 cathedrals, 81 churches, 7 national museums, 6 royal palaces, 900 corporate boardrooms and 42 luxury spas.
Comments : Comments are closed.
- Scottish Garden Centres open their Doors for Bonhams Valuation Days.
- LAST CHANCE TO PROVE YOU ARE THE WORLD’S BEST MARMALADE MAKER 2014
- Movies to Musicals
- Fountainbridge Show
- First Newspaper Review for The Fountain Bridge Show