Studio MB fascinate Scotland with mummies exhibitionWed 14 Mar, 2012 // Ismay Currie
Award Winning, Edinburgh based design firm, Studio MB, are delighted with the success of their latest museum exhibition commission, Fascinating Mummies, at the National Museum of Scotland. Fascinating Mummies allows the visitor to look beyond the beauty of Egyptian artefacts on display to understand the complex rituals of mummification and burial that lie behind them.
Working to the narrative and design brief created by the in-house exhibition team, Studio MB designed the overall look and feel of the exhibition.
Studio MB are renowned for their immersive and narrative approach, and from the moment you step into the exhibition space you are transported to an atmospheric tomb like gallery where a shaft of light through the ceiling picks out a lone sarcophagus.
Visitors are then taken along a temple style, dynastic time line of Ancient Egypt, charting 5,000 years of burial rituals. Wonderful objects are set against the hauntingly beautiful paintings by Scottish artist David Roberts.
After the time line, visitors are introduced to the human aspect of mummification and the deeply held beliefs behind the methods. The complicated process is broken down step by step and its rituals and spiritual journey to the afterlife explained including direct translations from hieroglyphs which are used to punctuate the space.
The visitor is then brought back to present day through a history of archaeological discovery to understand how unraveling mummies’ secrets has changed over the years. New research and discoveries made through modern technologies such as CAT scans are introduced to demonstrate the benefits of non-invasive research.
The exhibition culminates with an entire gallery of the exhibition dedicated to the Egyptian high priest Ankhhor. Ankhhor is a rare example of an archaeological find where a wealth of information collated on Ankhhor's life and death was extracted through non-invasive technologies. Ankhhor’s mummy, inner, middle and outer sarcophagi are displayed one after the other and are guarded by life size figures taken from the stunning artwork on the final sarcophagus.
This fantastic exhibition has received five star reviews in the press and been well received by the visitors.
For further press enquiries please contact Martin Hunt (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ismay Currie (email@example.com) on 0131 557 8885
Notes to Editors
• Studio MB is an award-winning industry leader in the UK for interpretive and exhibition design for museums, heritage organisations and brand experiences. www.studiomb.com
• Fascinating Mummies is open until 27th May 2012.
National Museums Scotland Members and ArtPass holders free, adults £9, concessions £7.50, child 5-15 years £6, 0-4 years free.
Comments : Comments are closed.
- Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Launches Global Campaign To Raise Awareness For Mental Health Issues Following A Second Chance
- Fountainbridge Show Celebrates it's 100th Episode this Evening!
- Seafood in Schools Anchoring in Tain
- Seafood in Schools sails into the Western Isles!
- Join Connections at the Edinburgh International Science Festival for “Sex by Numbers: the statistics of sexual behaviour”
- Shamu from VOICES with Lorraine Chase and Paul Daniels
- Cuckoo's Bakery Celebrate the Jubilee by Giving Free Delivery All Week!
- Indian Consul General enjoys official visit to Tullibardine Distillery
- Health Minister Visits Telehealth Solutions Project on Bute
- Girvan Academy looks forward to Seafood in Schools visit