This year visitor numbers to The Castle and Gardens of Mey, Thurso, Caithness have seen a substantial increase over previous years. When the Castle closed for the season on 30th September they had seen an 18% increase with over 25,000 visitors.
The new purpose built Animal Centre, based in the East Woods opened this year, and has proved to be a highly popular addition with families and their visitor experience.
Speaking on behalf of The Queen Elizabeth Castle of Mey Trust, the Chairman Ashe Windham said, “I am delighted that the 15.2% increase in visitor numbers in 2016 has been maintained by a further increase on last years’ figures to 18% this year helping to put the Castle and Gardens on a sound economic footing.”
The popularity of the North Coast 500 route, which was launched by HRH The Duke of Rothesay’s charitable company, The North Highland Initiative, two and a half years ago has undoubtedly helped draw visitors to the Castle and the more remote areas of Scotland with significant benefits to the local economy.
For more information please contact Martin Hunt on 0131 661 5212 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for Editors
The Castle opens daily at 10.20am and closes at 4pm (last admission) 7 days a week, the visitor centre, animal centre and gardens are open from 10am-5pm from May 15 – 30 September 2018 (25 July-7 August closed). Dates are subject to change, please check the website for more details.
|Castle, Garden & Grounds||11.75||9.75||6.50||32.00|
|Gardens & Grounds only||6.50||6.50|
About the Castle of Mey
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother first saw what was then Barrogill Castle in 1952, falling for its isolated charm and hearing it was to be abandoned, she decided to save it. Having acquired the most northerly inhabited castle on the British mainland, The Queen Mother renovated and restored it and created the beautiful gardens that now surround it. The Castle of Mey was the property of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from 1952 until 1996, when Her Majesty generously gifted it with an endowment to the Trust.
The Castle, built between 1566 and 1572, is situated on the north coast of Caithness, in the parish of Canisbay, about 15 miles east of Thurso and six miles west of John O’Groats. The jutting towers and corbelled turrets are typical of that period of the 16th century, particularly the chequered character of the corbelling of the smaller turrets.
For more information please visit http://www.castleofmey.org.uk/ or contact 01847 851473.